Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Where did my sweet boy go?

For the past 2 months Matt and I have been struggling with Jonah and sleep. He used to be the perfect angel! I would read him a story, turn on his music, lay him in his crib, and he would sleep from 8:00 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. the next morning. Then for his naps I would lay him down at 1:00 p.m. and he would sleep for about 2 to 3 hours.

Well, me trying to plan ahead with the baby coming I decided 2 months ago that it was time for Jonah to be moved to a toddler bed. BAD IDEA! I do the same routine with him just like I did with the crib and he REFUSES to go to sleep. He keeps getting up and out of bed and I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of to get him to stay in his bed! He will fight with me until 11:00 p.m. some nights! I WANT TO SCREAM! After all the crying and screaming this is what I go in to his room and find....



Why he can't fall asleep in his bed instead of on the floor at 11:00 p.m. at night I DON"T GET! He will then wake up at 3:00 a.m. and try to get into bed with Matt and I. We put him right back in bed and it is the same thing over and over again for about an hour! Then he decides to wake up between 5:30 and 6:00 IN THE MORNING! AAAAHHHH! HELP ME! Anyone with ideas PLEASE HELP!

The worst part about this is that because he isn't sleeping like he normally does, he is CRANKY ALL THE TIME! I'm having a baby VERY SOON and I can't do this anymore! I love him so much but he has never made me go this crazy about something before! WE ARE SO TIRED! HELP!

5 comments:

heatlight said...

Oh man, that stinks! I think you did the right thing starting him now. Hopefully by the time the baby is here he will stay in his bed. If not...there's always duct tape ;)

Karrasch Clique said...

Tracen hated the big boy bed too...but then he loved it. It just took a couple of weeks...good luck!

Unknown said...

We tried the same thing with ellie, and it didn't work. not to say that you won't get him to do it, but i think because she knew that a big change was coming, she needed the comfort of the crib. and then last night she asked to sleep in the 'big girl bed' and stayed there all night! maybe that is just us, but you don't want to be sleep deprived before and after you have the baby!!:)

McCombs Family said...

I swear Jen that it is just a phase and if you give in for one moment he will remember forever. If you let him sleep in your bed...he will always want to get in there with you. (Believe me) I really know it is hard to stick to it when you are tired but it is just a phase. My kids all went through it. Although I like your friends idea of duct tape....Jami

jessica said...

we were just talking about this at work! you just have to keep saying no he can't sleep with you and stick him back in bed... eventually he will ware himself out like he did and fall asleep on the floor... 8) it will be tough i am sure, but at least you have grandparents. 8) i cant wait for kids 8) i will be asking you for advice... miss you!